With there being a need now, more than ever before, to keep all of your home or business belongings safe, there is also an increased need for automatic gate openers. In fact, these represent the very best choice for this need. There is no need to hire a security guard for 24/7 service, instead, you can just install a quality electric gate opener.
Based on your requirements you can select a high quality double or single owner unit for any swinging gates. You will not have to complete any welding or ask the electrician to install the gate opener. Most of these devices offer a do-it-yourself operation and the installation kits and manuals are offered, along with the actual products.
Gate openers can produce quite a bit of force, which means that users need to be cautioned before, during and after they are installed. Plenty of care is necessary when the gate opener is actually operating. Using the information will help you choose the best automatic gate opener for your needs.
- Mighty Mule FM200
- For gates: 12 ft. or maximum of 300 lbs
- For gate types: all
- Other features: gate operator, battery box with control board, 1 Single Button Remote (FM135), AC transformer, all required hardware
- Mighty Mule FM350
- For gates: 16 ft. long or 550 lbs
- For gate types: all
- Other features: Comes with one remote control transmitter, mounting hardware, and pivot bracke
- Mighty Mule
- For gates: 18 ft. long or 850 lbs
- For gate types: all
- Other features: Soft Start/Soft Stop, Adjustable Auto Close, Adjustable Gate Activation Alert, UL approved Obstruction Sensing Systems, Control Box
- USAutomatic Sentry 300 S
- For gates: up to 20 feet
- For gate types: farm gates, ornamental iron gates, and chain link gates
- Other features: 2 remote transmitters, battery charger, AC transformer for battery charging, control box with pre-installed components, and linear actuator
- ALEKO® AC1400
- For gates: 1400 lb or 50 Ft long
- For gate types: sliding
- Other features: Supports up to 100 Remotes, 2 included, 20 Ft Chain and 120V AC 1.5 HP motor
- 1 Top 5 Automatic Gate Openers Reviewed
- 2 Mighty Mule FM500 Automatic Gate Opener
- 3 Mighty Mule FM 200 Automatic Gate Opener
- 4 Mighty Mule FM350 Automatic Gate Opener
- 5 US Automatic Sentry 300 S
- 6 ALEKO AC 1400 Automatic Gate Opener
- 7 Best Automatic Gate Openers Comparison Table
- 8 How to Choose the Best Automatic Gate Opener
- 9 Type of Gate Opener
- 10 Benefits of these Openers
- 11 Using Solar Power for the Automatic Gate Opener
- 12 The Bottom Line
Top 5 Automatic Gate Openers Reviewed
When attempting to find the best automatic gate opener, knowing the options that are available will help anyone make the best decision.
Mighty Mule FM500 Automatic Gate Opener
When searching for top automatic gate openers, one to consider is the Mighty Mule 500 gate opener. A single person that has an average level of do-it-yourself ability can install this unit. It offers a number of accessories, including the push button remote and wireless entry keypad. The opening devices can be hard wired, or it can get its charge from a solar panel.
The Mighty Mule 500 is also configured so that it will remain open until it is closed by a push of a button or manually, or close automatically after a specific amount of time. It also features a backup battery source to help ensure the gate will continue to operate even if a power outage occurs.
According to automatic gate opener reviews, the gate is offered between $450 and $595, depending on where you shop. While this may seem like a lot of money to invest in a gate opener, its capabilities and durability are well worth the price. It can open and close as much as 225 times each day with one transformer charge, that is an amazing feature that is difficult to find in the other options available. It also comes with a manufacturer’s warranty, providing you with peace of mind that if an issue arises, it can be fixed or replaced without an issue.
Mighty Mule FM 200 Automatic Gate Opener
Simply push a button to open your gate with the Mighty Mule FM 200. Considered one of the best electric gate openers, this device is a powerful component that is ideal for swinging gate that is up to 12 feet long or that is up to 300 pounds. If there is not a source of power of your gate, this is not an issue with this device. You can add a solar panel to work the gate opener in most remote areas. Also, when you do this, you may be eligible for a Solar Tax Credit.
Some of the features of the Mighty Mule FM 200 include:
- Easy installation and a low voltage system, which means that there is no need to hire an electrician.
- Will work on all types of gates including wood, ornamental, panel, vinyl, tube, wood and chain link.
- Able to be powered by solar or AC adaptor.
- Offers as much as 1500 cycles each day including battery backup, which will provide optimal performance in bout cold weather and solar applications.
- Includes all necessary mounting hardware and a remote transmitter, as well as an 18-volt transformer.
In addition to all the benefits offered here, you will receive a 12-month warranty from the manufacturer.
Mighty Mule FM350 Automatic Gate Opener
The Mighty Mule FM350 is one of the top rated gate openers available on the market today. It is designed to use with gates that are up to 16 feet long or that weigh up to 550 pounds. Both AC and solar power to meet the needs of every location and person on the market can power it.
With the installation of the 5-watt solar panel, it provides superior solar performance. The gate will also work with a marine or automotive battery, which is not included, and that will optimize the gates performance during cold weather.
When you purchase the Mighty Mule FM350, you will receive the mounting hardware for simply installation, transformer and transmitter, receiver and installation manual with DVD to make the process simple. You will also receive a gate opener arm, which is an essential component for this device.
Offered with a limited manufacturer’s warranty, provides peace of mind that if an issue were to arise, it will be handled in a timely and efficient manner to ensure that the gate continues to operate properly day after day.
US Automatic Sentry 300 S
The quality design and the features offered by the US Automatic Sentry 300 S automatic gate opener makes it virtually impossible to compare products that are similar. Reliability, affordability, and quality are all offered with the Sentry gate and it is considered one of the best values available on the market today.
The Sentry 300 offers a plug and go design of all the installed components ensuring that this makes it easy to install and use. In fact, the usual installation time for this type of device is under 60 minutes.
The gate opener receives its power from a 12-volt dc battery, which is not included. The transformer, which is included and that requires an AC power supply, will charge this batter. If this power is over 10 feet from the actual control box, then you will need an additional extension cable.
There is also the option to use the solar panel to work this gate opener, which is a viable option for those gates that may not have an immediately available source of power. This option is extremely popular and makes gathering the necessary power easy and hassle free.
ALEKO AC 1400 Automatic Gate Opener
When you ask the question, ‘what is the best automatic gate opener,’ the ALEKO AC 1400 will likely, be an answer you here. This device offers the ability to easily manipulate and maneuver oversized gates, which is something that a number of the other gate openers simply cannot do. This is thanks to the 120 V AC, 1.5 horsepower motor that is included with the gate opener.
It is offered in a compact package that is still able to provide this ‘heavy lifting’ capacity. However, even with this capability, the gates weigh just under the 20-pound mark.
Due to the sheer strength of this particular gate opener, there are not many products that can compete with its capabilities. In fact, when properly installed, it is able to easily open and close 50-foot gates that weigh as much as 1400 pounds with no extra effort necessary. This provides commercial enterprises the ability to invest in a secure and safe gate that will be able to easily open on demand.
When it comes to opening large or heavy gates, having the right opener is essential and the ALEKO AC 1400 definitely delivers on this service fulfilling a need that most other gate openers simply cannot meet.
Best Automatic Gate Openers Comparison Table
|Product name||For gates||For gate types||Other features|
|Mighty Mule FM200||12 ft. or maximum of 300 lbs||all||gate operator, battery box with control board, 1 Single Button Remote (FM135), AC transformer, all required hardware|
|Mighty Mule FM350||16 ft. long or 550 lbs||all||Comes with one remote control transmitter, mounting hardware, and pivot bracke|
|Mighty Mule||18 ft. long or 850 lbs||all||Soft Start/Soft Stop, Adjustable Auto Close, Adjustable Gate Activation Alert, UL approved Obstruction Sensing Systems, Control Box|
|USAutomatic Sentry 300 S||up to 20 feet||farm gates, ornamental iron gates, and chain link gates||2 remote transmitters, battery charger, AC transformer for battery charging, control box with pre-installed components, and linear actuator|
|ALEKO® AC1400||1400 lb or 50 Ft long||sliding||Supports up to 100 Remotes, 2 included, 20 Ft Chain and 120V AC 1.5 HP motor|
How to Choose the Best Automatic Gate Opener
An automatic gate opener operates two basic ways. One is a hydraulic system and the other is an electromechanical system. The gate opening system will ensure both security and safety while facilitating ease of entry and providing logistical control of both exiting and entering the area. There are a number of options available to control the actual gate opener and there are some that have to be monitored. It is important to keep in mind that safety is always a concern since gates are often heavy. Some tips to find the right gate opener for your particular needs can be found here.
Type of Gate Opener
When looking for gate openers, there are three basic types to choose from. Each of these has advantages and disadvantages and understanding what they are will help you find the right option for your particular needs.
- Automatic Sliding Gate Opener: This can be installed for a number of purposes including driveway fence gates and others. These are one of the latest innovative options that are available today. They can be opened and closed via a remote making them extremely appealing. They are offered with a number of accessories and safety and security features.
- Automatic Swing Gate Opener: This helps to protect a person’s belongings effectively. They work much like the door into a home or business would – opening inward and outward. The swing arm operating sits to the site and the arm will extend and retract to open and close the gate.
- Automatic Dual Gate Opener: These are considered the most common types of automatic gate openers and ideal for both business and residential use. They usually include two different operators, dual receives, photocells and dual transmitters for use.
Benefits of these Openers
There is no question that automatic gates are becoming a popular part of day-to-day life for many people. They can be used for both commercial and residential properties. Taking the time to think about the type of gate opener that is needed is essential. Once installed, these gate openers offer a number of benefits, which include:
- Consistent functionality
- Enhanced security
- Enhanced safety
- Simply to install and use
It is essential that you take the time to become educated about what automatic gate opener is best for you needs. Take time to figure out the size and weight of the gate in question to ensure the opener in question will be able to control it properly. Also, keep in mind your specific budget for the opener, which will play a huge rule about whether or not you can actually get the opener you want. While there are more and more different options offered today, it is still important to keep your budget in mind when searching for the right automatic gate opener.
One of the most appealing factors of the gate openers is that they can be installed without the need for help from an electrician. This minimizes the time and work that must go into this installation process.
Using Solar Power for the Automatic Gate Opener
When it is time to install the automatic gate opener, many people find an issue acquiring a power source. However, with modern gate opener options, solar panels can be purchased. These panels are typically sold separately but designed to offer seamless integration and power for the gate opener that is selected.
Benefits offered by using solar power for your automatic gate opener include:
- Ability to open and close gates when no electrical source of power is close by
- Renewable source of energy that is ideal for those who are environmentally conscious
- Easy to install by any average skilled do-it-yourself professional
For those who are looking for a method of powering their automatic gate opener that does not require battery power or electrical hard wiring, then a solar panel is a good option. These are sold along with most automatic gate openers for a reasonable cost and can ensure that regardless of the electrical power in the area, or weather, the gate will operate properly.
The Bottom Line
When searching for an automatic gate opener for installation at your home or business, it is important to consider all the options that are available. Taking the time to find the right device will help ensure that a positive outcome follows. Use the information and reviews here to help you find the right automatic gate opener. Keep in mind, these are not all created equally, so it is essential to ensure that the right one is found. Do not rush into a decision, but rather carefully consider all the available options so that the best opener for the particular application is selected. You can also check out our article on top garage door openers where we have reviewed top picks of this year.